Many people believe that bottled water is safer than tap water and that plastic bottles get recycled. However, think before you drink – you maybe surprised about some facts that will help you kick the bottled water habit.
- 40% of the bottled water sold in the U.S. is filtered tap water.
- 70% of bottled water does not cross state lines making it exempt from FDA oversight.
- Studies have found fertilizer, pharmaceuticals, disinfectants, and other chemicals in bottled water.
- Tap water costs about $0.002 per gallon compared to the $0.89 to $8.26 per gallon charge for bottled water.
- Plastic bottles can leach chemicals into the water if left in the sun, heated up, or reused several times.
- 88% of empty plastic water bottles in the United States are not recycled and it can take 450 years for a plastic water bottle to breakdown
- It takes the equivalent of about 17.6 million barrels of oil in the production of the plastic bottles to meet our demand
- It can take nearly 7 times the amount of water in the bottle to actually make the bottle itself.
So what’s the solution? Purchase a reusable water bottle and if you don’t like the taste or odor of your tap water or you are concerned about your tap water’s safety, give Sci-Chem Water Treatment a call at (407) 301-4655 to schedule your free in-home water analysis. We have many options to choose from to fit every budget.